The Howgills and Limestone Trail  


HALT STAGE 5 - Crook of Lune Bridge to Fellside


Starting point: Crook of Lune Bridge (SD 620963)
Distance: 7.75 miles
Ascent: 1114'
Date: Monday 26th September 2011

All of the photographs on these Gallery pages were taken by Derek Cockell when he and his wife Alison helped to test walk the route after it was devised by David and Heather Pitt. The test walk took place during the summer and autumn of 2011 and spring and summer 2012. Please note that all photos in this gallery are copyright of Derek Cockell and are not to be used without express permission.

Route: From Crook of Lune Bridge follow the Dales Way footpath alongside the River Lune as far as Low Branthwaite. Walk uphill towards Slacks Lane, turning right along the lane before bearing left for Ash-hining and Underwinder before emerging on to Howgill Lane and walk into Sedbergh, where refreshments may be enjoyed before heading in a southwestly direction through the grounds of Sedbergh School and on to Birks. Here, cross the River Rawthey over a footbridge. Cross the River Dee over Abbot Holme Bridge and walk uphill on a quiet lane to emerge on to open moor. A bridleway heading southwest leads into an ancient walled lane which leads on to Jordan Lane on the line of a Roman road. Where Jordan Lane meets the B6256, bear half left and walk along the road and turn left uphill to Fellside.

HALT Gallery
Crook of Lune Bridge to Fellside

HALT Gallery
The River Lune looking towards the Howgills


HALT Gallery
Crook of Lune Bridge


HALT Gallery
Old County Boundary marker
The River Lune marked the boundary between Westmorland (now Cumbria) on the west bank and Yorkshire on the east bank


HALT Gallery
The River Lune


HALT Gallery
River Lune scenery


HALT Gallery
Hole House has a wonderful floral display


HALT Gallery
Looking towards Firbank where George Fox preached a sermon in 1652


HALT Gallery
Hole House below


HALT Gallery
Looking towards Fell Head


HALT Gallery
The Lune valley and the Lune Viaduct over the river


HALT Gallery
The Howgill Fells


HALT Gallery
Self-explanatory ...


HALT Gallery
Sedbergh's main street


HALT Gallery
Passing the War Memorial in the churchyard


HALT Gallery
St Andrew's Church, Sedbergh


HALT Gallery
Sedbergh School


HALT Gallery
A lovely cottage with two date stones (1762 and 1980)


HALT Gallery
The River Rawthey


HALT Gallery
Footbridge across the Rawthey and ...


HALT Gallery
... Abbot Holme Bridge across the River Dee


HALT Gallery
Evening sunlight on the Howgills


HALT Gallery
Approaching Fellside at the end of another stage of the walk


HALT Gallery
Returning to the starting point of the day's walk, we visited Fox's Pulpit, Firbank


HALT Gallery
This plaque tells the story
Here or near this rock George Fox preached to about one thousand seekers for three hours on Sunday June 13, 1652.
Great power inspired his message and the meeting proved of first importance in gathering the Society of Friends known
as Quakers. Many men and women convinced of the truth on this fell and in other parts of the Northern Counties went forth
through the land and over the seas with the living Word of the Lord. Enduring great hardships and winning multitudes to Christ.



HALT Gallery
The Quaker graveyard


HALT Gallery
And there is a fine view of the Howgills from here






Pennine Journey Supporters Club
         
© Howgills and Limestone Trail